Patients in another ward at RIH experiencing symptoms of norovirus

By Ashley Legassic
February 7, 2019 - 1:53pm

KAMLOOPS — Just when Interior Health thought the norovirus outbreak at Royal Inland Hospital was over — patients in a different ward are experiencing symptoms.

IH spokesperson Susan Duncan says RIH was hoping to declare the outbreak over on Feb. 9.

"Unfortunately another ward — a fifth ward — has shown some patients with the illness," Duncan says. "In fact we have three patients and three staff members on 6-North showing gastrointestinal illness symptoms. We don't know yet if it is norovirus, specimens are being tested but norovirus is a difficult bug to get rid of."

During the height of the gastrointestinal outbreak last week, four wards at the hospital were closed to admissions.

Earlier this week there was just one ward affected. 

Duncan says the new date for a full "all-clear" at RIH is Feb. 11.

"Patients are isolated, who are ill, and also there's no new patients admitted to the ward and no patients are discharged to long-term or assisted living facilities while the outbreak is on."

One unit at Berwick on the Park is also continuing to experience new cases of gastrointestinal illness.

Snow in the forecast brings renewed call for Snow Angel volunteers